THIS SITE IS NO LONGER IN USE. Please visit www.writeallyear.com for the current website.
Welcome to Write All Year! This is a WordPressed based community, hosted by BuddyPress. If you aren’t familiar with BuddyPress, it can take a little getting use to, but it’s all easier than it seems.
1. The first thing you’re going to want to do is register, if you haven’t done that yet, you can do so via the sidebar. Registration will involve filling out a short profile about yourself so the community can get to know a little about you.
2. Once you’re signed in, you’ll be able to see a menu bar at the side of your screen. You’ll also see some of this same information at the top of your screen, along with a notification bubble in the top right hand corner. If you can’t see that, make sure you are both registered and logged in.
3. The next thing you’ll want to do is fill out your profile. You can do that via the edit profile button on the sidebar. There are three tabs to your profile About Me!, Goals and Progress, and Social Media. You can go through each tab filling out whatever information your comfortable with, just be sure to hit save between tabs. You’ll notice a word count tracking box, but don’t worry about that quite yet. We’ll get there a little later.
P.S. – Right now some of the headings when viewing your profiles can be hard to read. We’re aware of the problem, but haven’t quite figured out how to fix it yet.
4. Next you’ll want to head over to the forums to introduce yourself to the community. You can do that from the Forums button on the sidebar. Our forums are growing every day, and we’ll be adding more in all the time as the community continues to expand.
5. So here’s the big one! The reason we’re all here. How can you use Write All Year to track your writing throughout the year and to keep yourself motivated? Well, we have a few methods in place! Our system isn’t quite as pretty or graphtastic as NaNoWriMo’s but it does the trick and we think it’s pretty fun.
The first thing you’ll need to do is head over to the Productivity Goodies group. From there, click on documents and download Annual Word Count Tracker and Progress Tracker Codes.
– the Annual Word Count Tracker is a spreasheet you can use all year long to track your goals and your word count. It’s completely customizeable and has a tab for each month. I (Kellie) use this all the time, and have mine on my desktop so I can keep track of all kinds of things year round. This will be handy for keeping track of your daily and yearly totals so you can input them into W.A.Y. but you don’t have to use it.
– the Progress Tracker Codes are there so you can copy and paste them into your own profile. Copy the complete text from the document, then click Edit Profile on the sidebar. Then go to Goals and Progress (I told you we’d come back to this), and scroll down to Word Count Tracking. Hit paste! There, the hard part is done.
At this point, it should look like…
Here you can change the name of the progress bars, what each of your goals is, and if your starting after January 1st, what your current word count is. Just make sure you only change the text/numbers within the quotation marks and not the quotes themselves or any of the other code text. Now hit save!
After that, if you go to view your profile instead of edit it, you should see two progress bars!
Unfortunately, at this stage, if you want to update your word count, you’ll need to do this step again, which we know is more than a little annoying so feel free to update as often or as little as you like, while we try to find a better progress bar that works within our current setup. Or feel free to skip the progress bars entirely and just use achievements and/or the spreadsheet. Whatever works for you!
The final WAY to measure your progress, is through achievements, but we already have a page dedicated to that, so I’ll send you over there now! Good luck!
Still not sure about all this? We’ve put together a quick video to walk you through the getting started process.
Any questions? First, try asking in the forum. But if you can’t get an answer there, feel free to email us.