- steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.
- Synonyms: persistence, tenacity, determination, staying power, steadfastness, purposefulness
Perseverance for each writer looks different. Why? Because the obstacles are different. Maybe you are so demotivated by bad reviews or rejected queries, you are having a hard time finding the gusto to keep writing. Maybe you have dozens of potential stories running through your head, but you can’t find the time to sit down at your laptop to hash them out. Maybe you are stuck in the middle of the story and don’t know where to go from there.
There are dozens, sometimes hundreds of excuses each one of can come up with to plant a big ole stop sign right in the middle of our writing flow. There is one trick I have come up with that can knock that stop sign down each time; know the why.
Know why you chose to write in the first place. Remember what first motivated you. Was it the characters tromping around your brain? Was it someone else’s success story? Was it a plot or a lesson that you know needs to be shared with the rest of the world?
Perseverance, in my opinion, is probably what got you writing, or thinking about writing, in the first place. So once you remember ‘the why’, and maybe put a big picture of it hanging above your computer in your office, the rest is an easy formula to follow.
– Set attainable goals (500 words per day? 2,000 words per week?)
– Meet those goals. (Have a scheduled writing time and turn off social media distractions.)
– Reward yourself for those goals. (Brag about it, blog about it, then open up that bottle of wine!)
Now go out and persevere!
Terra was born and raised in Colorado but has since lived in California, Texas, Utah, North Carolina and Virginia. Terra has served a 5½ year enlistment in the Marine Corp, has earned her bachelor’s and master’s degree and presently runs the language services division of a small business.
Terra currently lives in a suburb of Washington, DC with her husband of sixteen years and three children.